Sunday 11 April 2010

Those Mighty Dees!

The weirdest thing happened on my way to Tips-Central this morning... I discovered that about half of you obviously thought the Sydney/Tigers game was on Sunday not Saturday... well yer all idiots and pay the price - you had to pick a SUNDAY game for the knockout comp ladies...  where is the communication??  You know the strangest part of it though?  Lady Horseboy picked the Swans as her cert too!  Never let it be said that there are favours given here!!!! (ps it is always written on the right hand side of the blog AND on the oztips site...)
This week the few left in the comp have to pick from Saturday's games... See it's not that hard is it?

Ahhh footy.  You know, despite the Crows effort leading me to a point where Metallica's "Some Kind of Monster - the Short Version" sums up my feelings... and despite the Crows losing yet another 4 players to injury (Tippett, Hentchell, Dangerfield and Bock all gone... nice), the most memorable part of the round definitely comes from the Pies camp.

Yep, at quarter time, The Nipster was down in the huddle taking some time out from his Nanna Nap, and he assures me that Micky Mouse - that self-proclaimed doyen of coaches - launched into everyones favorite help-yourselfer Steven Milne and called him a 'f-ing rapist' - as opposed to the other type.  To assist (that is what assistant coaches do), Licca followed it up with a request to 'meet in the carpark'.  Was this some kind of gay reference?  Have the Pink Pies made a resurgence in 2010?  COME ON BOYS!!!  Licca, you are a clown.  If Warney was commentating he would be saying 'Can't Play, Can't Coach'.  Move on.

Anyway, we all know you only do the carpark thing in Adelaide outside a pub - not a footy ground.  This is typical of the Pies mentality though - always following, never leading.  Following on in his Coaches footsteps, Maxwell said the Sinners players were all crybaby's.  Which again brings us back to Licca... Yep, they even have their own Facebook website called 'Watching Collingwood Cry' - with 14,000 friends!!!  Gold.

Anyway, when Milney isn't helping himself to a sleeping gal (she was asking for it), or Montagna riding shotgun, or Riewoldt crying to the world, they tend to play pretty good footy and they gave the Pies a spanking even missing Tearwoldt (out for two months, and yes he is in my dream team...).  With the Pies only scoring 9 points after half-time I was going to be THRILLED this weekend even if the Crows only won by 5 goals! BRING IT ON!

In one of the most courageous comebacks you will ever see, Surjan made it back on the field for the Paps.  The massive hit he took last week, and the delayed concussion - the kind that only comes on when you are told to sit down and waste time I mean recover - makes him my gutsiest player of the week.  Awesome effort.  Sadly for him the Lions were too good for them.  My lordy, how good was this weekend gonna be - even if the Crows only won by 5 goals!

Meanwhile the Roos beat the Beagles.  Man, I picked that one and I suggested that at $1.90 this was easily the best money-making option this round, but redhotchili had other preferences...  yep, he thought the Cats were good value at $1.50... as The Hives once said... 'Hate to Say I Told You So...' (rubbish - I love it).  Anyway,  Harvey racked up a zillion possessions and had a 7 bounce run down the wing and through the centre only to have the ball scrape the post... damnit.  Still, with the Crows getting their first win on the board I knew I would be a happy man come sunday...

On Saturday night the Swans played against... well I dunno.  Was there even an opposition there?  Actually there was and his name was LRT.  The worlds worst footballer.  The highlight of the night for me was watching him wrestle a Tigers player out of the way to let a goal through.  For the Tigers.  He is Pure Gold.  LRT is the defenders defender.  A throwback to 1982.  When I was playing under 12's.  I reckon I played like LRT.  But I probably ran more.  The thing was, I was 11 at the time and playing 3rds.  Anyway, the Swans caned the LRTigers and when i saw the Bombers (I picked em) got up against the Blues (yes, Daaave being the loyal Bombers man he is, picked the Blues), I just knew that this was my weekend...

Apparently there was some footy played sunday although what I saw was a JOKE.  And that was just the Dogs win over the Hawkers.  But beyond that, the Dockers managed 3 wins in the first three games of the season.  Ever.  That is at the same time that their brethren Beagles have lost the first 3 for the first time since 1989!  Yep, those Dockers... to take some sarcastic lines from Once Great and make em true... maybe the Crows have played the best sides of 2010 already?  Dockers... unbeaten... Sydney... could easily be 3-0... Melbourne... should be 2-1 (although they got the best of some friggen shonky umpiring - 4 decisions in 3 minutes when the game was in the balance... nope I won't even mention them... MAGGOTS!)...

The Ladder
Two 7 from 8's this week with Once Great and Pavsthaman jumping up the ladder to be second and first respectively, while Pavpaaaaa is equal 2nd with the OG.  I think I will change my name to Pavhorseboy.  In the Gayfamily battles it's good to see that the acorns have been flung FAR from the tree... the 3 amigos (D Master, LukeTheCuteOne and Maddzy) all well ahead of Damien (PizeRule)... excellent work!

As said, 7 left in the side comp - pick from saturday's games this time - $40 jackpot.

Round 4
You mean there is more?  Faaark. In the games thats matter, the Pies play the Hawks.  I will not make a call on this one until I see the injury toll.  Up at the Gabba the Lions face their biggest test so far against the Doggies.  I reckons home ground advantage will be the deciding factor, but in the space of 2 weeks, the surprise Match of the Round has to be the Sinners v Freo!!!! Unbelievable!  NO Tearwolt and the Purple ones are in some kinda form.  Still, yet again you gotta say that the homeground advantage should be enough eh?

Indeed, homeground is a biggie for the Coasters too - Dave may be back on board this week but the Beagles will beat em over at the Subi, and the 12 Crows players left will be solid for the Blues...  The Cats will bounce back and beat the Paaaah by a lazy 119 points, while the Roos v Roos down in Roos will be quite Roosish.  Tough pick actually - I'll tip Paul Roos.  As for the Dees n Tigers - have you seen how good those Dees are? FAAAAAAARK!

No comments:

Post a Comment