Tuesday 29 September 2009

It's All Over Now.

What a huge game eh? Of course it has all been written about ad infinitum and you are all over it. Indeed, all you are really interested now is WHERE IS MY MONEY?! To see where you finished on the ladder, scroll down a little. Congrats to Line in the Sand.

But I like to give my $1.50 worth, and so to the footy.

Many amongst you seemed lured by the fairytale that was the Sinners winning their first Premiership since 1966 - beating the Pies by 1 point. Surely after a year in which the Sinners were clearly the best (or second best - behind the Crows), they deserved to win. An unbiased person would think this only fair. Well, no. I quite enjoyed the thought that they would continue LOSING. Over the last 5 weeks The Sinners have become a team of players that continuously fell over at the slightest touch, and no one has called them on it. They literally stumbled into the Grand Final on the back of a free kick that would have made Lloydy blush, and they continued it on in the Grand Final assuming we wouldn't notice. Well my friends I will call them on it. They were soft. When they weren't missing sitters, they were looking for free kicks, falling over faster than a 90 year old in a taser attack. Nicky Riewoldt continued to be the prime example - and the final hurdle they fell before completion was the Grand Final. Sucked in.

Of course nothing prepared me for the Gold that was lil Stevie Milne's performance. If they handed out medals for worst performance in a Grand Final, there is no doubt they would call them "The Leon Davis", and Milney would have gone to bed with a Leon hanging around his neck. Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke eh? Even I was getting tired of calling out 'Kick it to Milney' by the end of the game! Actually that is a lie. I never tired of it, and he never let me down.

Chappers won the Norm Smith. No, he wasn't lucky but were there any standouts? 1.5 quarters of footy on less than that many legs.

All in all it was a great game and the best team of the last 3 years won it.

That of course brings us to the end of the Comp. These bluddy twilight games killed me but I will try and put in a solid pre-season and get things on track for next year.

My favourite moments? Well I am a fairly one-dimensional kind of guy so when my team ain't winning, I look for highlights in other peoples lowlights...
  • Ports failure after their cockiness all pre-season. I could never work out why they were cocky given their team was full of old wood and players not prepared to go hard.
  • Milney's Grand Final performance. As the Fauves once sang... Celebrate the Failure!
  • The Hawks missing out. They were the luckiest Premiers ever and my how I chuckled.
  • Dave Cassell'hoff's never ending tirade against Poor Matty Knights... indeed, he was the KnightRider.
  • But the real highlight was of course that the two best teams making the Grand Final. If my team can't make it then ya can't ask for more.
I will send out the standard email just before the Pre-Season comp. If you have any suggestions for improving the comp then feel free to send me an email. I will continue using the blog to send out the updates during Season 2010 - emails come and go, but my blog ID shall remain the same...

Cheers and thanks for being a part of it.
Horseboy

No comments:

Post a Comment